7th Sep 2017
The Mid Hants Railway Preservation Society (MHRPS) will open up new historic experiences as it unveils its newly-restored Goods Store at Medstead & Four Marks station this month, with a formal opening by Lord Montagu of Beaulieu.
The Victorian-era Medstead Goods Store, which was built around 1880, has been totally renovated after the MHRPS received grant funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund and will open with an exhibition called ‘Delivering the Goods’.
The goods store was originally used as a traders’ store for the collection and delivery of goods to and from local traders, with similar buildings at Ropley and Alresford stations that have since been demolished.
Following two years of hard work to restore the building, the Medstead Goods Store’s exhibition will explain the hugely important role of railways in the transportation of goods and freight. It will include displays describing the role of a station goods clerk in despatching and receiving goods, the role of a goods guard on goods trains and the history of some of the wagons in MHRPS’ demonstration goods train.
MHRPS’ Building Department have replaced the floor, refurbished the wooden sleepers that form the walls, lined out the interior and repainted it in old Southern Railway colours to recreate an authentic goods store of yesteryear.
The exhibition will give passengers a real insight into the uses of goods stores, and as further funds are available to us we will be able to produce even more interactive displays for visitors of all ages.