The aims of the Mid-Hants Railway Preservation Society (the Society) are to preserve, operate and exhibit for public benefit, educational and instructional purposes and to stimulate and encourage interest in, all kinds of railway transportation systems, vehicles and equipment; to foster and support railway preservation.
Its objectives are: to demonstrate the history and development of train travel by operating trains; to provide interpretative displays; to provide access to the Society's archival and photographic collections; to promote and support visits by educational groups to provide facilities for research to provide training in the operation of the railway and in the restoration and maintenance of its assets.
The beneficiaries fall into six main groups:
- The general public
- Colleges and formal educational establishments
- Our volunteers
- Rail enthusiasts
To ensure that the beneficiaries' needs are met, the Charity responds by:
- Demonstrating the history and development of train travel by operating trains on the railway line between Alresford and Alton; providing interpretive displays the promotion of 'open days' when the public can see behind the scenes of the railway.
- Providing improved access to the Society's archival and photographic collections through the use of a room within Ropley Station House for this purpose; supporting and promoting visits by educational groups.
- Providing facilities for research through the provision of training in the operation of the railway and in the maintenance and restoration of its assets offering appropriate training in these aspects to our young volunteers.
Key elements are:
- To follow our conservation policy, which is to maintain items in working order, wherever possible and carry out appropriate restoration.
- To ensure that the artefacts are able to be seen and enjoyed is the best way to bring them alive to the beneficiaries.
- To increase the size of, and enhance the skills of, the volunteer workforce in order to adequately support and develop the Mid Hants Railway.
This is achieved by undertaking its aims and activities:
- To develop the audience that will benefit from the objectives of the Charity
- To acquire and preserve rolling stock, infrastructure and exhibits, with particular reference to the former Southern Region of British Railways
- To improve facilities for interpretation, preservation and education activites
- To promote inclusive access, irrespective of race, gender, colour, marital status, national origin, religion, disability, sexual orientation, age, ethnicity.
Our 5 Year Strategy
The 5 Year Strategic Plan 2018 - 2022 can be viewed here.