Watercress Line

Home » Rolling Stock » Diesel locomotives

08288 - Class 08 Shunter

Status Under repair

Notes

DIESEL HISTORY

To separate the locomotive fleets British Railways adopted a “D” prefix to its diesel locomotives from 1957.  When this locomotive was out shopped from Derby Works in June 1957 it became the first locomotive to carry a “D” number and became D3358.

D3358 was transferred to the Western Region fleet and was first allocated to Llanelli shed then to Neath.  After a further period at Llanelli, D3358 was transferred to Landore in April 1964, then to Cardiff in September 1967, and then to Swindon in May 1969.

Under the TOPS scheme in the mid 1970’s D3358 became 08288, with the first two numbers indicating the locomotive class.  With its new identity 08288 was transferred to Newton Abbott from February 1978 until March 1981.  After this date the loco was transferred to Bristol for a month, before returning to Swindon and being placed in store for 2 years.  

Due to being a vacuum only braked loco and the increase in air braked stock 08288 was withdrawn on 21st January 1983 and sent to Swindon Works for scrapping.

Preservation came in the form of the Mid Hants Railway Woking & Guildford group raising the money to purchase 08288 in order to assist in re-instating the line between Alton and Medstead, and the loco moved to Alton on 1st November 1984.

We are currently fundraising for this 08 to be painted, find out how you can help here. 

Details

Built at
BR Derby Works
Build year
1952
Owner
MHRPS
Region
Western Region
Route availability
RA 5
Total built of class
996
Withdrawn
21 January 1983

Technical

Configuration
0-6-0
Fuel capacity
668 gallons
Power output
350hp
Prime mover
English Electric 6KT
Top speed
Top Speed: 15mph
Total length
29' 3"
Total weight
49 tons
Tractive effort
35,000 ibs
Wheelbase
11' 6"